Sunday, September 30, 2007

Thing 22: eaudiobooks

Overdrive does not work with macs, "At this time, OverDrive digital audio books cannot be downloaded to Ipods or be used on Mac computers. " There are "hacks" one could do to get around the whole DMR... I'm not of course, advocating that in any way.

I downloaded The Historian for a recent car trip. It was great- and I didn't run into any problems (I borrowed my bf's pc). The problem was that since I didn't run into any problems- it can be an issue in helping people problem solve here at the library.

The most frustrating error I have seen has people update some software- but it neglects to say which version. As a user- you would assume you need the most recent- but no...sometimes you don't! The end result is going in circles and probably making a very frustrating situation for a patron. I wish I could replicate the exact problem she had, so that I could know what to do in the future.

Some things to note when helping people with Overdrive:
1. Note what OS they are using
2. Make sure they are using a pc, not a mac
3. Make sure they have downloaded the software BEFORE trying to get a title.
4. Make sure any updates have been installed.

eaudiobooks are very cool- I think they would get a lot more use if more people new about them. What would you rather listen to during your morning commute- Mark and Brian or a new audiobook?

No comments: